Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:52:35 -0500
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mdconfig /tmp problem

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:40:32AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote the words in effect of:
> Folks,
>
> I have been using an mdconfig /tmp for quite a while. Today, running
> -current from 11/14 I got the following errors while doing an
> installworld after testing my bind 8.3.3-patched import stuff:
>
> kernel: swap_pager_strategy: bp 0xc2f34480 blk 0 size 0, not page
> bounded
> (plus lots more)
>
> During the installworld whatever binary was being read from the
> /tmp/install.foo directory would segfault, and I'd get one or more of
> those in my log.
>
> Here is my little script for creating the mem disk. It hasn't changed in
> a long time.
>
> # Usually a noop, but just in case
> mdconfig -d -u 10 2>/dev/null
>
> mdconfig -a -t swap -s 8M -u 10
>
> disklabel -r -w md10 auto >/dev/null
> newfs -U /dev/md10c >/dev/null
> mount /dev/md10c /tmp
> /bin/chmod 1777 /tmp

There is also another problem. mdconfig/md driver messes up when a 0
byte file is passed:

	# touch /tmp/tmp.fake; mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /tmp/tmp.fake

I have not been able to collect debugging data, but when I have some, I
will pass it on.

FYI.

--
Hiten Pandya (hiten@unixdaemons.com, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org)