Date:      29 Nov 2000 15:46:52 -0500
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, Chuck McCrobie <mccrobi@aplcenMP.apl.jhu.edu>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC 2143 (IP over SCSI) Support in FreeBSD

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:

> Huh- what was the CPU utilization? I suspect higher than native, but
> CPU speed arguments are more or less now like what memory
> utilization arguments were ten years ago (obsoleted by having
> enough- i.e., requiring lots of memory or CPU isn't a problem if
> it's cheaply available).

We aren't doing much CPU measurement at the moment; our current
interests lie more towards network behaviour -- congestion and routing
and the like -- than towards integrating iSCSI into systems.

However, simple empirical stare-at-the-machine stuff shows that the
client's CPU doesn't seem to be close to being pegged. The
server's closer to being pegged, but we don't care much about that --
that's the part that's easiest to throw hardware at.

And yeah, you're right about the availability. The folks who care most
about high-speed SANs can easily afford fast CPUs for client machines.

> Well, we'll see whether the s/w portions of Fibre Channel (e.g., the
> SAN domain stuff) gets to be usable within IP over SCSI.

I hope so. Storage management is irritating and hard, and I'd rather
not see people reinvent the world yet again.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/