Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:21:44 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@Wagsky.com>, francisco@natserv.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations on updating /etc for -stable

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 08:37:14AM -0700, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
> >I am seeking suggestions on how to best update /etc/ while tracking stable.
> >Any scripts someone has found useful?
> >
> >I read Nick Clayton "Making the world your own" and that answered most
> >questions. On that document there is a mention of a script dircmp.pl and
> >says it is included in FreeBSD versions 2.0 and above. I coult not find
> >it in 2.2.7.

That's not quite what it says;

    dircmp.pl is a small Perl script (Perl 4.036, which is installed by
    default on FreeBSD versions 2.0 and above)

although I can see where the confusion comes in.

> It is available from his web site
> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/dircmp.pl
>
> I am personally partial to something like
>
> diff -r --exclude=dev --side-by-side --suppress-common-lines
>
> since not only does it tell me what is there, not there, and changed, but
> in the same pass lets me know *how* it has changed so I can make the edits.

Allow me to plug Doug's (aka Studded) 'mergemaster' script, which you'll
find in ports/sysutils/mergemaster, which does this and more (I believe).

I've never actually used it, and near the top of my list of things to do
is "download a copy, use it, and write about it for the tutorial".

If anyone else has already used it and feels like submitting something
(plain text, HTML, DocBook, I don't really care) to me, please feel free.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .