Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Justin Victoria <vic@yeaguy.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        justin.victoria@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5.4 Upgrading Ports (Handbook)

Ok, so let me get this straight.  Here is what Ive deduced using the
handbook:

Step 1: run pkg_version -v

will just stick with samba for now:

[vic@hbca ~]$ pkg_version -v | grep -i samba
samba-3.0.37_1,1                    =   up-to-date with index
samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8          <   needs updating (port has 3.4.9)

pkg_version -v is telling me samba is up-to-date with index
samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8 needs updating..

ok. step 2, check /usr/ports/UPDATING

hbca# grep samba-3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING
hbca# grep -i  samba-3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING
hbca# grep -i samba34-lib /usr/ports/UPDATING
hbca# grep -i samba34 /usr/ports/UPDATING
   AFFECTS: users of net/samba34
hbca#
[vic@hbca ~]$ grep 3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING
[vic@hbca ~]$

20100205:
   AFFECTS: users of net/samba34
   AUTHOR: timur@FreeBSD.org

   This port was developed with the generous help of Florent Brodin.

   The default passdb backend has been changed to `tdbsam'! That breaks
   existing setups using the `smbpasswd' backend without explicit
   declaration! Please use `passdb backend = smbpasswd' if you would like
   to stick to the `smbpasswd' backend or convert your smbpasswd entries
   using e.g. `pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam'.

   The `tdbsam' backend is much more flexible concerning per user
   settings like `profile path' or `home directory' and there are some
   commands which do not work with the `smbpasswd' backend at all.

I see an issue with samba34 but not samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8
specifically.

so Step 3:

pkgdb -F

hbca# pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database
Stale origin: 'net/samba3': perhaps moved or obsoleted.
-> The port 'net/samba3' was removed on 2010-10-18 because:
         "Has expired: Unsupported by the upstream. Please, consider to
upgrade."
-> Hint: samba-3.0.37_1,1 is not required by any other package
-> Hint: checking for overwritten files...
  -> No files installed by samba-3.0.37_1,1 have been overwritten by other
packages.
Deinstall samba-3.0.37_1,1 ? [no] no
Duplicated origin: security/libgcrypt - libgcrypt-1.4.5_1 libgcrypt-1.4.6
Unregister any of them? [no] no

pkg_version said samba-3.0.37_1,1 is up to date with the index.
pkgdb doesnt mention anything about samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8.

Since samba is very to configure, I can simply deinstall samba all
together and reinstall..  What exactly is the point of portupgrade then?