Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 04:28:20 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   ECC RAM + PCI sound + 5.0-Current = panic

	I had an SB live card, and although there has been progress lately, it
is not working for me in 5.0-Current, so I decided to "step down" to an
SB PCI
128 which has been reported to work well. Unfortunately, I get the exact
same behavior with this card that I did with the SB live. It plays some
sounds, others it does not play at all. However, inevitably after it's
played a few sounds or many, the system locks up then reboots, or it
drops into DDB.

	During previous attempts to narrow down this problem, it was determined
that people with ECC RAM were suffering panics with the SB live much
more so than those without. During my tests today I actually got it do
go into DDB once. The trace showed that the kernel had actually panic'ed
in fxp_start(). That happened a couple times. The other function it died
in was fxp_mc_setup. Offhand, this would indicate to me that the problem
may
be in how pcm is handling interaction with the PCI bus, since two
different PCI sound cards are causing the panics. Disabling ECC made no
difference. My mb is an Asus P2B.

	Let me know if there's anything I can do to help....

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire