Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 13:21:21 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling problems

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:16:27 PST, Fabio Miranda wrote:

> Hi, I am a FreeBSD 3.2-release user and i have seriou
> compiling problems, because, I cant compile anything i
> download from the web. Always i obtain error messages.

This depends on how you installed FreeBSD 3.2 .  Did you install the
developer distribution?  If you chose a minimal installation, you may be
missing stuff.

> What can i do for make my FreeBSD box a better place
> for compiling?.

Install the developer distribution (including sources).

> sometimes, the problem are the includes, for example,
> protocols.h, Where can i get them?

We don't have a protocols.h .  Sounds like the software you downloaded
is for Linux.  Linux's libc doesn't have all the inet stuff in it, so
software intended for compilation under Linux will expect additional
headers and libraries to be present for inet support.

You may find the software you're looking for in the FreeBSD Ports
Collection, in which case you can compile it within a FreeBSD-friendly
framework or download a pre-compiled package.  Check out:

	http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

Ciao,
Sheldon.