Date:      09 Oct 1998 16:03:31 -0700
From:      cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tls@rek.tjls.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interesting quote from http://cnls.lanl.gov/avalon/FAQ.html#A1end

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> writes:
> I realize that this would require some substantial code changes to
> things like the platform specific VM code; but the payback is the
> ability to run on all the Alpha hardware out there.

All the new alpha hardware, maybe.  There exist systems (now old, but
some still perform pretty well) for which no ARC ever was (or really
could be 8-) made.

Also, there's the issue of the limitations that the NT PALcode leaves
you with.  e.g. 32-bit process address space.  Also, since the
user-land PAL ops for things like syscalls and related stuff aren't
necessarily compatible (not sure), you might not even be able to run
other UNIX-ish systems' binaries (even disregarding address space
issues).

Also, "things like" the VM code includes an awful lot more than the VM
code.

If you want a PC... buy a PC.  If you want an Alpha, with all of its
benefits, you want either OSF or VMS PALcode.

cgd