Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:17:57 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos@firstbhph.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lib Errors After 6.3 - 7 Update

--------------enigD462ECB8A9C86B1E4BB5CB6F

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:16:44 -0500
> Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos@firstbhph.com> wrote:
>=20
>> Perhaps someone has a better suggestion for you, but I had a similar i=
ssue=20
>> with regard to installing VMware Tools.  In my case, I symlinked libc.=
so.5=20
>> linked to libc.so.6, and the VMware Tools installation proceeded.
>=20
> Like Kris said, not really good. An option may be, if you want to limit=
 your
> exposure to compatibility issues, is to use libmap.conf , so you only m=
ap
> libc.so.6 as .5 ONLY for certain executables/libraries that depend on t=
hem.
>=20
> I find it this method a much better one to managed - one central place =
> manage library tricks, and is more advanced than symlinking. And you ca=
> easily transfer it to other systems=20

Umm... Using libmap.conf in this way is functionally equivalent to
sym-linking the shlibs and is just as evil.  If an app needs libc.so.5
then the only correct answer is to give it libc.so.5 by installing
compat5x.

libmap.conf has its uses, but one of the primary reasons for having it
-- switching between different threading implementations -- is a non-issu=
on 7.0 where you get libthr style threads as standard.  I think there
may be one or two ports that advise you to make specific libmap.conf
settings, but unless you've installed one of those, you really should
not need a libmap.conf at all.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20