Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 00:40:49 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: (fwd) CNN - Crypto expert: Microsoft products leave door opentoNSA - September 3, 1999 (fwd)

> Great for the consultants among us, but bad for marketing. Somehow
> I can't see all people caring enough all the time. Call me cynical <g>.

Bingo!

What is needed is to convince more small business people to consider
using a consultant for the occasional updates like the sendmail thing
you mention.

Instead, most people seem to have been conned into the Microsoft way
of continual and expensive software updates while trying to do everything
for themselves.  Sorry, but more small businesses are strung together
with half-assed newbie spreadsheets than not.

Which way is really more expensive?  Which way keeps money in your
community and helps provide local employment?  The current situation
is a result of very effective marketing and unethical business practices
by Microsoft, not any real gains in productivity from using their
software.

With a small amount of handholding by competent consultants, I'll
argue that FreeBSD offers much lower total cost of ownership than
a Microsoft-based approach for small and large businesses alike.

Microsoft is the Wal-Mart of the software industry.  Support your
local computer consultants!

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net