Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:14:36 +0000
From:      Spadge <spadge@fromley.net>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble Upgrading Ports

Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> Did you read in the /usr/ports/UPDATING?

Yes, I did, thanks.

>> I once wrote a shell script to combat this sort of behaviour, as it
>> is  something I have run up against time and time again with the perl5
>> port.  It looks something like this (I fully expect my email to kill
>> the  formatting of this, with like linewrap and everything, so beware):
>

> We have a tool for that, an answer is in the /usr/ports/UPDATING.
>
> Cheers,
> Mezz

"If you want such packages to remain operational, you will have to
reinstall then by hand or via portupgrade."

Not a bad argument for my script, as that is precisely what it does,
albeit indiscriminately.

I'm not knocking your work at all, but IIRC I first wrote this script
before perl-after-upgrade was included in the package. I got the xargs
from UPDATING back when that was the advice given by the ports maintainers.

I also feel a bit funny sometimes about running a perl script to fix a
broken perl install. Call me superstitious.

I'm *not* saying to anyone "don't use perl-after-upgrade". It's great,
very useful, and I like it plenty. I am, however, offering up my
homemade bash alternative for anyone who would prefer to use something
more bashy than perl-after-upgrade. There's a lot of people out there
who feel more at home editing a bash shell script than they do working
their way through perl script.

Thanks for your earlier comments.

--
Spadge