Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:23:50 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

Thomas Good wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Dutch Collins wrote:
>
> > > When was the last time you heard the press making an uproar over
> > > the Duke Blue Devils?  Arizona Sun Devils?  IMHO, their logos are
> > > more "demonic" than ours, but it doesn't seem to hurt them in the
> > > national news.  And they get a lot more press than we do.  There's
> > > even the New Jersey Devils, although their logo is more stylized.
>
> > No not that!!!! No ACC basketball team will be able to beat Duke then.
> > Do you really want Duke to have the extra help. [U of Maryland, Terps]
> > -d
>
> Dutch -
>
> This Form v. Content content thing really seems to cause some rather
> intelligent and otherwise well intentioned people to vaporlock, eh?
>
> Last I checked, it wasn't Mephisto who urged me to use FBSD.  In fact,
> no Faustian bargain was involved at all...unlike M$ Windows!
>
> `Why is it what is obvious to the few is Greek to the world?'
>                                          ^^^^^
>                  - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
>  (emphasis added by someone who doesn't concern himself with Greek
>   mythology or apologies for form when the content is top shelf.)
>
> I'm off to whiteout my FBSD stickers!  Have a good evening, guy.
>
> Tom

oh. I did say something about an inverted bell curve and people when the
population reaches a certain level. History is full of these ups and
downs.

No hear this! Corel has, Corel Linux Desktop, this is Linux with an
install that allows the average office win98 user install Linux. And
WordPerfect, and all the Office Suite stuff for Linux surfs into the
machine, for a price. www.corel.com for more info. Red Hat going IPO
soon, andover.net buying as may Linux sites that will sell means FreeBSD
needs better marketing. As I see it, a better mouse trap is a hard sell
without making life easy on the *office people*.

The cartoon devil is a perfect marketing tool, if used. You know, right
tool for the right job.

see ya, going back to break my FBSD again (what happens if I do ...)
-d