Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:15:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer), andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, sanewo@ba2.so-net.ne.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdate panic, anyone seen this?

:> WHY would you async mount an MFS?
:> it's an MFS!
:
:So you don't have to stall the caller copying the page-off-vnode
:memory to the swappable-page memory.
:
:					Terry Lambert
:					terry@lambert.org

    So you don't have to do a context switch for each individual strategy
    call.

    --

    Progress is being made on a number of fronts.  I have about 9 commits
    ready to go as soon as they are approved which fix a bunch of things,

    I can now reliably make buildworld on the above said VN configuration
    ( as /usr/obj ).  It's sweet, too... softupdates does an incredible
    job balancing the network load.  It doles the file writes out to
    the network so smoothly I at first didn't realize that it was working.
    MFS, in contrast, eats system memory until the pageout daemon is forced
    to start paging it to swap in weird-looking bursts.  The network I/O
    doesn't get in the way of the build at all - the system is 0% idle through
    most of it.

    I think the ultimate 'mfs' is going to be a direct-swap-backed VN partition
    running a softupdates-enabled UFS.  The beast doesn't exist yet, but it
    wouldn't be too hard - we'd just use a vm_object instead of a vnode and
    vm_pager_get/put_pages().

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>