Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 00:18:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

Jonathan Smith wrote:

>By implementing the 'start' and 'stop' in the local scripts, how much
>should one _expect_ their systems bootup and slow down times to take?

If the start/stop arguments are coded in a backwards compatible
fashion, there should be no difference.  For startup, I can see no
reason why there should be any difference at all [1].

As for shutdown, ports that have been fine so far without doing
anything at shutdown should just ignore the "stop" arg, IMHO.  Only
processes that really need a clean shutdown should do anything when
given the "stop" argument.

	 $.02,
	 /Mikko

1) Ok, make that "hardly any difference" -- the rc scripts will be
   a few lines longer and contain an extra conditional of some sort, so
   they might be slightly slower ... :)
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security