Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:37:50 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail configuration error

Steve Price wrote:

> Forgive me for asking such a stupid question, but how do
> I go about getting rid of this message from sendmail?

> 553 foo.bar.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
> 554 <steve@foo.bar.com>... Local configuration error
>
> How do I go about checking for MX problems?

Old favourite of mine.

Assuming this machine is a mail relay (i.e. lets mail in and out, rather
than just forwarding), then have a look in your sendmail.cf for the Cw
definition.

Check it has, e.g.

Cwlocalhost bar.com

and any other other domains it's a mail relay for.

If your sendmail.cf is more recent than mine (the .cf is old, but the
sendmail is pretty new 8) ), you might have

Cwlocalhost
# file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
Fw/etc/sendmail.cw

instead, in which case put the rest in this file, one on each line IIRC.