Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:06:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   losing connectivity

i am connected to the net via USR 33.6 modem and occasionally
my provider hangs up and my system redials, publishes my ip
address and does a little ftp work. I put the ftp stuff and
the ip update program in the ppp.linkup file.

here is my problem sometimes after dialing into the isp
i can ping different sites although i cannot get
any http or send mail or ftp anywhere.

if i try and do an http request i get "the remote site may be down"
if i try and update my ip i get "connection timed out"

I use ppp -ddial -alias pmdemand

sometimes everything works fine but sometimes it dont.

here is some info on my system

I appreciate any suggestions.

thanks

/home/kf7nn >uname -a
FreeBSD mutsgo.dyn.ml.org 2.2.6-BETA FreeBSD 2.2.6-BETA #0: Sun Mar 22
21:29:58CST 1998     root@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/newkern  i386
/home/kf7nn >

#
pmdemand:
 set phone 2141234567
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: mylogin word: mypass"
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0
 #delete ALL
 #add 0 0 HISADDR

# Examples to connect using a null-modem cable from one machine to another.
# The important thing here is to allow the lqr packets on both sides.
# Without them enabled, we can't tell if the line's dropped - there
# should always be carrier on a direct connection.
# Here, the server sends lqr's every 10 seconds and quits if three in a
# row fail.
#
# Make sure you don't have "deny lqr" in your default: on the client !
#
direct-client:
 set dial ""
 set line /dev/cuaa0
 set sp 115200
 set timeout 900
 set log Phase Chat LQM
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: ppp word: ppp HELLO"
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.2 10.0.4.1
 enable lqr
 accept lqr

direct-server:
 set timeout 900 10 3
 set log Phase LQM
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.1 10.0.4.2
 enable lqr
 accept lqr

# Example of Callback Request
#
#  Here, we assume that peer will hangup the line and initiates a callback
#  after successful authentication. We simply use chat script capability
#  and wait for a "NO CARRIER" response from our modem.
#
#  $ ppp callback
#
callback:
 set phone 0312345678
 set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: MyName word: MySecret
TIMEOUT 20 DUMMY"
 set log phase chat
 dial
 quit

# Example for ppp over tcp.  We assume that inetd on tcpsrv.mynet has been
# configured to run "ppp -direct tcp-server" when it gets a connection on
# port 1234.  Read doc for further details
#
tcp-client:
 set device tcpsrv.mynet:1234
 set dial
 set login
 set escape 0xff
 set ifaddr 10.0.5.1 10.0.4.1 255.255.255.0

tcp-server:
 set escape 0xff
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.1 10.0.5.1 255.255.255.0

ppp.linkup

pmdemand:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR