Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 02:48:53 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Subscriber <subscriber@insignia.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Current (E-mail)" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea for base system trim

Thus spake Subscriber <subscriber@insignia.com>:
> Would the powers that be please consider removing sendmail,
> bind and openssl from the base system, as was done for perl
> with 5.0?

Please don't restart this flamewar.  When we have a better
installer, then it may be possible in the future to select between
multiple mailers (for example), but nobody is going to rip out
widely-used functionality because someone has a pet peeve.  (And
yes, this *is* just a pet peeve; if it were not, you'd see people
complaining about ntpd, ipfilter, pnpinfo, etc. instead.)  Check
the archives.

As far as security updates are concerned, keep in mind that base
system components are actually *better* supported by the FreeBSD
security officer than are ports.  If you really want the ports
version of something, put the appropriate NO_* option in your
make.conf and install the ports version instead.