Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:11:17 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "Victor Y. Dominguez" <yoalli@kino.tij.uia.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd, root, single user problem!

"Victor Y. Dominguez" wrote:

> I just install Fbsd 3.4 on my pc. I change the root passwd after
> installation, but when was time to login it didn't let me. So then I boot
> as a single user and tried to change my passwd. But then I realized that I
> couldn't open any file. I get errors like this:
>
> #vipw
> vipw: /etc/pw.KaK119: Read-only file system
>
> thanks

I hope this is correct as I am not a FreeBSD guru.
Boot up as single user and go to the shell prompt. Then type
the following commands:

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a

Your slices should now be mounted read/write and you ought
to be good to go.

--
Walter

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of
intelligence.