Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:47:26 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Somewhat in my own defense

[trimmed cross-post]
paul@originative.co.uk wrote:

> [...]
[snipped again]
> Jordan, I don't think anyone will dispute the effort you put into supporting
> the project. However, I do think there are some things you could do
> differently when talking to the press.
>
> Journalists like two things.
>
> 1) Ready made press releases, generally a small bit of prose that makes a
> single point clearly that they can more or less cut and paste into their
> publication without too much work. Journalists like to minimise their work
> (who doesn't).
> 2) Overly stated answers that can be pruned down a lot during editing to
> suit the slant that the author wants to take in the article.

Let me accept a little of the workload here. I am going to be focusing
on generating written press releases and soundbite material to feed to
the media.

> It's point 2 that you fall foul of and that's where the criticisms from
> within the group stem from. You just shouldn't say things like the above. A
> single one line response such as "yes we'd love companies to port their
> products to FreeBSD" should be the correct reply. It can't be turned around
> into anything else but it doesn't in any way burn bridges with other groups.

Besides, it's  lot of work. I watched Jordan talk for 20 minutes with
the guy from Upside, and all we got was a measly 2 pages, most of which
was the journalist's interpretation.

> Similarly, "our main strength is the server market" is a good quote, there's
> no reason to say "we've conceded the desktop market to Microsoft", that's a
> negative point not a positive one and can easily be turned around out of
> context in an article.

As a Libertarian (Large 'L'), I've had to deal with twisted non-quotes a
lot, everything for "you want to give our kids drugs!" to "you want to
kill babies!" I hope it's given me the wisdom to keep my mouth shut
except in very carefully crafted ways. The more I can do of _successful_
PR, the less Jordan will feel the need to "do SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!!" to
get press for FreeBSD.

--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media