Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:56:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build tools as separate distribution

> I would like this idea.  The up side is that it saves about 100MB of
> space, iirc.  The down side is that minimal is no longer able to build
> a kernel, which is why they were in there to start with.

This problem will continue to shrink as our kernels become more modular.
You could ship a minimalist kernel, and the necessary modules. Another
option would be to provide some public kernel-building service, or an
assortment of prebuilt kernels.

On the note of shrinking stuff, I am wondering what, if anything, came of
the previous discussion regarding the introduction of BUILD_TINY or
similar defines?

Marius