Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:19:46 -0500
From:      "Rouzer, Charles A (Chuck)" <car@vitalit.com>
To:        <freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd cluster target market

> Is there any work being done on iSCSI for FreeBSD? And more
> importantly, we need both frontend AND backend for this to work.

   I've come across some posts using google search in regards to iSCSI for
FreeBSD, but I'm not aware of any work in progress.  I imagine its just a
matter of time as iSCSI hopes to displace fiber channel SANs.

    Can you be more specific about frontend and backend?  I am assuming that
if someone is writing an iSCSI driver that they would implement full
functionality: mounting (frontend) and exporting (backend).  Otherwise its
not much use.

> I'm no fan of vinum myself but combined with iSCSI it could pose a
> solution.

   Recently I have found vinum useful as a "volume manager" (not RAID though
that works too).  I can create a concat plex/volume and when needed increase
the diskspace by adding a subdisk of any available or needed size and using
growfs.  This allows many more partitions than normally available which is
why many use volume managers for large systems.  Haven't tried it in a
production environment yet, maybe someone else is using this method in
production?

   Now all I need is process migration and process migration capable network
file system.  ;-)

Chuck

P.S. Please do not cc me replies.