Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:41:34 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat <mojahed@citechco.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RIDE for BSD

In the last episode (Jan 04), Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat said:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 02:33:54PM +0600, Alexey N. Dokuchaev
> > 2. In mcedit, I can continue searching in file with M-F7 (Alt-F7).
> > Well, for some weird reason, no such feature in midc under FBSD.
>
> Just curious.  Isn't Alt-F7 supposed to switch to virtual terminal 7?
> Linux distros have 6 VTs setup by default, where FreeBSD has 8
> (3.3-RELEASE).  What happens if you enable VT7 (or run X on it?).

A better question is "why aren't you just hitting 'n' to go to the next
match?" :)  Saves you a keystroke.  In fact, ALT-F7 isn't even listed as
an option in the mc online help.  Only 'n' is mentioned.

> About the argument of midc authors regarding C-o.  Can't they switch
> to a pseudo terminal before running the program, run the program and
> come back to the original terminal?  Then switch between the original
> and pseudo terminals on hitting C-o? "screen" does this sort of thing
> all the time, so it's very much possible.

And as a side effect, this approach would work on any login, not just
the console.  For example, most of my VTYs are really ssh logins to
other machines on my network.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com