Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:13:54 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drop snd_ from DRIVER_MODULEs...

Quoting Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> (from Thu, 20 Apr 2006 =20
00:44:39 +1000 (EST)):

> Having recently struggled through getting my sbc + ess sound going on a
> Compaq 1500c on 5.4-RELEASE, I must say the snd_* naming was useful for
> me, eg:
>
> paqi# ll /boot/kernel | grep snd_
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    16428 Feb 25 06:28 snd_ad1816.ko
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    16811 Feb 25 06:28 snd_als4000.ko

[...]

> That and using ..
>
> # snd_driver_load=3D"YES" # load snd_*

IIRC this doesn't depend upon the snd_naming, but on a meta-module =20
which loads all sound modules (or something like this...).

> .. in /boot/loader.conf until I'd sussed out why snd_sbc didn't work by
> itself, so I knew to add ..

> They're also special because they constitute a fairly clear subsystem,
> and while taking John-Marc's point that noone needs if_ prefixes for
> ethernet drivers and such, I (and maybe POLA?) think the advantages
> of consistent snd_ naming outweigh other perceived inconsistencies.

He doesn't proposes to change the names of the files, but to change =20
the internal name of the modules. At least I did understand it like =20
this. As you may notice, there are a lot of if_ files in the kernel =20
directory, while the internal names mostly don't contain the if_ =20
prefix (according to jmg).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org     netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137
T-1's congested due to porn traffic to the news server.