Date:      01 Jun 2000 10:28:39 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Extra in the bento's logs

 * From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>

 * It seems that addition of the "Extra" reson to the bento logs is extremly bad
 * idea, at least in its current implementation. The logs has been bloated (~600
 * broken ports in the list - sic!) with false alarms and it is now very difficult
 * to differentiate really broken ports from those that just adds several subdirs
 * into locale directory.

Which ones are false alarms?

 * 			  I propose to more ports with "Extra" problem into
 * separate list.

Hey, I had them on a separate list for months but nobody (ok, hardly
anybody -- jmz and others did fix some :) seemed inclined to fix
anything! :>

After looking through the list myself, I am thinking about making the
change permanent instead of just during the mid-week builds like I
said originally.

As I pointed out in the announcement a few days ago, unless the error
is made fatal it is extremely hard to figure out which port is the
culprit that leaves extra directories behind.  (Port A leaves
directory behind -- port B depends on A - pkg_add A and pkg_delete A
leaves same directory -- same directory shows up on port B's extra
list.)

Also, there are some errors that really should be fixed ASAP (for
example, missing some installed files in PLIST).  Granted, a lot of
those are just a couple of benign directories left behind, but those
are not hard to fix anyway.

Satoshi