Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2007 02:14:50 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        CmdLnKid <cmdlnkid@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00

CmdLnKid wrote:
>                                 _ ._  _ , _ ._
>                               (_ ' ( `  )_  .__)
>                             ( (  (    )   `)  ) _)
>                            (__ (_   (_ . _) _) ,__)
>                                `~~`\ ' . /`~~`
>                                ,::: ;   ; :::,
>                               ':::::::::::::::'
>  __________________________________/_ __
> \__________________________________
> |

> | Copyright (c) 1992-2007 The FreeBSD
> Project.                              |
> | Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993,
> 1994  |
> |         The Regents of the University of California. All rights
> reserved. |
> | FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD
> Foundation.              |
> | FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Sat Oct 20 04:58:39 UTC
> 2007                       |
> | ----- CUT
> -----                                                           |
> | acd0: CDRW <LITE-ON LTR-52327S/QS5A> at ata1-master
> UDMA33                |
> | acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24
> ascq=0x00                |
> | acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24
> ascq=0x00                |
> | cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun
> 0                                          |
> | cd0: <LITE-ON LTR-52327S QS5A> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0
> device             |
> | cd0: 33.000MB/s
> transfers                                                 |
> | cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
> present   |
> |___________________________________________________________________________|
>

> Introduced-From:    RELENG_6 (TODAY)
> Unproduced-With:    RELENG_6_2
> Questioned:        FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
>
> I was curious if this is just some debug printf's that were thrown in
> thrown in the src of {acd?,ata?,pci?} or whatever ?.  If not I have been
> looking in the wrong place for where this is coming from and would
> appreciate any feedback on this non-issue. The cd burner works just fine
> like in RELENG_6_2 as well as 4 & 5 but seeing this come up the way it has
> just raises the question in my mind that possible hardware failure might
> be eminent in the future.  This seems to produce it self with a cd in
> the drive on boot or without one. Any other info on this non-issue is
> available on request.
>
> [Future thanks forwarded to any generated threads.]
>
> Sincerely,
> The Command Line Kid.

The prints are mostly harmless.  You're using ATAPICAM, and the ATA
system is fighting with the CAM system over who best knows how to talk
to CDROM devices.  It's actually CAM's fault for assuming that all the
world knows what VPD pages are, and it's ATA's fault for lying about the
error recovery behind CAM's back.  Blah.  There is a unification project
underway to address this.  Until then, what you're seeing is harmless.

Scott