Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2008 06:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature request

--- Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
> Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
>
> > 3. Support LDAP SSO out of the box
> >
> > Linux/Solaris/AIX have native LDAP SSO support.
> > I have asked about this feature before.
> >
> > The problem is whether it should integrate OpenLDAP to base system.
>
> Why OpenLDAP? Why not one of the other ldap implementations available
> in the ports? In particular, do any of them already have plugins for
> use with pam?

OpenLDAP, nss_ldap, pam_ldap should be the stable.
It was around for years and most Linux distro come with it.

For Solaris, it comes with Sun Microsystems implementation of LDAP
library.

> > BTW, I see ISC Bind, Sendmail and Amd automounter is in base.
>
> Yes, but you're asking to move a major chunk of functionality into
> the
> base from ports. That doesn't really happen very often, for lots of
> good reasons. Those reasons are often used to suggest that the
> packages you just named be moved *out* of the base system, but that's
> not much easier than moving things into it.
>
> The other issue is - well, how much use is this for ports? After all,
> most of the servers you're going to install come from ports, so if
> they don't play here, then there's not much of a win.

In the past, in my University.
There are several computer labs. They run around 200 Solaris and Linux
workstations.
I guess the total number of students in the faculty is around a
thousand.
Of course LDAP SSO comes into play.