Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:16:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        Richard Brooksby <richard@harlequin.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Installation" and "upgrade"

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Richard Brooksby wrote:

> This is both a question and a suggestion.
>
> FreeBSD has a reasonable installation procedure, and the documentation
> talks a lot about "intalling" FreeBSD.  What about upgrading?
>
> I have FreeBSD 2.0 installed, and am interested in updating to 2.1 when it
> is stable and comes out on CD-ROM.  Can I use the same convenient
> installation procedure to _upgrade_?  Will the install 2.1 procedure
> overwrite all my careful configuration in /etc or will it Do The Right
> Thing?
>
> If the install procedure _does_ upgrade correctly, then I suggest the
> procedure is documented, along with any pitfalls.  If the install procedure
> can't upgrade, I suggest that it be changed to do so, or some documentation
> is provided on how to do this.
>
> I'm pretty sure you have thought of this already -- there must be a lot of
> people with 2.0 who want to upgrade.  I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness
> and stability of FreeBSD, which is why I use it.
>
> Keep up the good work.  I wish I had time to pitch in.

One good reason why you haven't found a method of upgrading from 2.0 to
another version, is because there isn't one.  The filesystem changed
right after the release of 2.0, so upgrading to anything more recent
requires backup up your files, and doing a fresh reinstall.  Believe me,
there's no way around it.

The new install will reinstall your filesystems, with a newer variety,
based upon "slices".

> ---
> Richard Brooksby <richard@harlequin.co.uk>
> Manager & Developer / Memory Management / Symbolic Processing / Harlequin
> +44 1223 873881 (voice)  +44 1223 872519 (fax)

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |