Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:02:15 +0000
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP and Non-Responding Modem

Hey all!

Okay, I haven't used ppp in over a year now.  Since then I've been using
cablemodems and DSL.  Over the last year or so, I've pretty much
forgotten how to set things up.  I've done it before, and it wasn't so
hard but now I have a modem problem.

Okay, here's the deal.  I have FreeBSD 4.0 Release.  I have a Hayes
exeternal modem (28.8) connected to serial port com1.  I'm not an
external modem wiz.  Anyways, I know it works because last night I got
it to dial although not today.

Anyways, I type ppp then I 'set device /dev/cuaa0' then I 'set speed
38400' then I type 'term'.  After that it just locks up.  I can't type
at or atz or anything expect for the ~? and stuff like that.  (last
night I was able to)  Why?  I don't know.  How can I check the modem
using another peice of software?  How can I reset the modem by using
software?  Would it make a difference if turn the modem of and on to
reset it?

It worked last night, I'm sure it can work again.

TIA,

Joey