Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:51:54 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
To:        Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for a tiny embedded system that supports *BSD

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

On 2009-Nov-17 20:32:06 -0500, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com> wrote:
>A project I'm working on requires a really small box (at most 15x9x3cm
>in size, but ideally smaller) that's capable of running one of the
>four BSDs.
>
>The catch is that it must have its own battery supply capable of
>powering the system for at least 5 hours. The other major requirements
>are one RS-232 and at least one USB ports.

If (as I read it), the battery needs to be inside the 15x9x3cm box,
the 5hr battery requirement is going to make this very difficult using
x86 hardware.  You probably need to look at something ARM based or
maybe something like gumstix.com (though I don't know if the latter is
supported by any *BSD).

> The battery should be
>recharged through the USB port.

This implies quite a low power consumption since USB 2 is restricted
to 500mA per port - or 2.5W to charge the battery and presumably power
the device.

Is there a specific requirement for BSD?  Based on what you've said,
it would be far easier to meet the physical dimension and power
requirements using something like a PIC or Atmel microcontroller.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD--