Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:28:06 +0900
From:      "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp>
To:        chump1@hushmail.com
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Beagle recommendations for real

Hi

I'm currently doing some experimenting with BeagleBone Black and FreeBSD
10-releng.

Using crochet-freebsd script works great for creating an image to burn onto
a sdmicro card. It's also very easy to customize and add your own overlay
files. The default kernel config and settings creates a bootable image for
me.

The base system seems to be very stable and runs fine. I can play with the
4 LED's using gpioctl.
However, I had some crashes when building ports. Not sure if it is related
or not but it has not happened since I added swap memory file.

I have a ports directory which I share over NFS, there I am now building
ports and creating packages. However, many ports seems to be broken on arm.
I want to run GNUstep environment but am missing some libraries.

What I am (currently) missing is:
HDMI driver
libffi (builds but hangs during test)
libgcrypt (does not build)
libicu (builds but reports many errors in numeric test section)

There seem to be a LCD driver so I considering buying a LCD display and
then try get X running.

I also have FreeBSD 10 running on a Raspberry Pi but it is painfully slow
and you can get the BBB for almost the same price. However, Raspberry Pi
supports HDMI so you can connect a monitor and maybe run X.

As a follow up question to any one reading, what are the possibilities of
seeing a graphics driver for TI's arm chips any time soon?

And as a side note, I have been trying to get FreeBSD running on Pandaboard
but I can't even get it through the boot sequence. Possibly mmc driver
problem?..

I recommend BBB.

--
Johannes Lundberg
BRILLIANTSERVICE CO., LTD.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM, <chump1@hushmail.com> wrote:

> I have been toying with my Raspberry Pi for a while now, stuck with Linux
> thus far. I need to make another pass at FreeBSD on the Pi but between
> reports of NetBSD bugs and struggles, I cannot help but wonder, perhaps the
> Beagle products are a little more solid for BSD use. Certainly they have a
> lot more I/O options than the Pi as well.
>

> Could someone with some experience please share? Also I am a little
> confused by the Beagle product line, it looks like the Bone and Bone Black
> are both superior to the original, yet the original continues to be sold at
> a higher price. Is that correct or am I missing something?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Sent using Hushmail

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
$BHkL)J];}$K$D$$$F!'$3$NEE;R%a!<%k$O!"L>08?M$KAw?.$7$?$b$N$G$"$j!"HkF?FC8"$NBP>]$H$J$k>pJs$r4^$s$G$$$^$9!#(B
$B$b$7!"L>08?M0J30$NJ}$,<u?.$5$l$?>l9g!"$3$N%a!<%k$NGK4~!"$*$h$S$3$N%a!<%k$K4X$9$k0l@Z$N3+<(!"(B
$BJ#<L!"G[I[!"$=$NB>$NMxMQ!"$^$?$O5-:\FbMF$K4p$E$/$$$+$J$k9TF0$b$5$l$J$$$h$&$*4j$$?=$7>e$2$^$9!#(B
---
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information in this email is confidential
and intended solely for the addressee.
Disclosure, copying, distribution or any other action of use of this
email by person other than intended recipient, is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in
error, please destroy the original message.