Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:20:35 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org, Jeremy Gale <jgale.work@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Network Interfaces and PRI questions

On Thursday 17 February 2005 22:55, Jeremy Gale wrote:

> One thing I'm still not clear on... what does a network interface
> (i4bipr/i4bisppp or irip/ippp in NetBSD-ese) represent? Does it
> represent an ISDN call? If you want a call on each B-channel of an
> ISDN BRI, does that mean you should have two devices, e.g. i4bipr0 and
> i4bipr1? This is an important consideration for me because it could
> mean literally hundreds of interfaces. Or does it represent more of a
> physical ISDN connection between two endpoints?

Layer1 provides one or more channels at any rate. Layer4 can connect each of
those channels to a "driver+unit" eg. tel0, tel1, rbch0, rbch1; Mulitiplexing
more than one channel into the same driver is not supported. But maybe you
can create "dummy drivers" that ignore the unit number when setting up a
channel, so save memory?

In my ISDN driver you can call the the function "i4b_setup_driver" to connect
a (controller+channel) to a (driver+unit) from anywhere.

Be aware that I4B versions up to 1.0 does not support more than one D-channel
driver, which is DSS1, except if you are using CAPI! If you want to use
another protocol on the "D-channel" you need to use my version of I4B
available from:

http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/temporary/

Also my driver has generic support for Cologne chip NT+TE mode. Currently I've
only ported it for FreeBSD, but there are macros in the source code to enable
execution in a non-mutex oriented environment. So it might compile on NetBSD
with some tweaks.

Yours
--HPS