Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:47:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Tadimeti=20Keshav?= <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail newbie questions

Hello folks,
I would like to have a mail server running on my
oh-so-humble 866MHz PIII FreeBSD 4.5 machine. I want
to use sendmail (it is available as a package). I have
a few questions to ask.

1. This is a standalone machine at home, I don't have
any network cards. Do I need one? I can connect to the
net using user PPP.

2. Being totally ignorant of networking, I disabled as
much of networking as possible. ( I did a standard
install). Do I need to have such thigs as DNS
configured.

3. What about giving my computer a name - do I have to
do that + do I have to give myself an IP address.

4. Any other networking detail? I am reading FreeBSD
Unleashed which is quite detailed and helpful.

I tried to look at the handbook, but what it says I
need to read the networking chapter first, which makes
no sense to me.

Please help me out. Thanks in advance...
keshav