Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:49:17 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM under 4.x STABLE  (DMA and en driver ?)

At 09:18 AM 1/16/01 -0800, Richard Hodges wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> > en0: <Efficient Networks ENI-155p> mem 0xfe000000-0xfe3fffff irq 11 at
> > device 8.0 on pci1
> > en0: unexpected timeout in rx DMA test
> > en0: WARNING: DMA test detects a broken PCI chipset!
> >       trying to work around the problem...  but if this doesn't
> >       work for you, you'd better switch to a newer motherboard.
>
>Ouch!  Looking at /usr/src/sys/dev/en/midway.c I see some very interesting
>notes about broken DMA in the Efficient card (but not Adaptec).  The
>driver is supposed to work around that, though.  Your DMA message above
>seems to refer to the chipset not being able to handle "misaligned 64
>byte DMA", which might not be a major problem, but just might reduce
>the performance.
>
>Of course, the real authority is Chuck Cranor himself...

Hmmm...  Any guesses as to how much of a performance drop ?  If its a
hardware issue, I wonder if the LINUX crowd has run into this.  Time to do
some more archive searching!

BTW, for my simple protocol requirements, should I try and pick up a couple
of used Fore cards instead ?  I am hoping the box will be able to forward
30-50Mb/s over its life time.

         ---Mike