Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:29:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav_cz@volny.cz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Makefile.local policy?

Hi,

what's the policy about using Makefile.local files in ports?
I found it a convenient way to make sure I'll not forget some
option next time I upgrade a port. Example:

/usr/ports/audio/aumix/Makefile.local:
WITH_GTK2= yes

The problem is that I can't use it with ports which only include
bsd.port.mk on the end. Aumix include bsd.port.pre.mk before
checking for WITH_GTK2 which allows me to define it in
Makefile.local

There are many ports, which use WITH_* options, and don't include
bsd.port.pre.mk before checking for those options, examples:
mail/evolution, multimedia/mplayer, net/ethereal, net/simicq.
Should all those ports be modified to include bsd.port.pre.mk
before testing WITH_* defines? Or is there some other more
elegant way around I don't see?

I also noted this behavior (including Makefile.local) is not
documented in Handbook, Porters handbook or anywhere else.

PS Excuse my bad English.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
There are three kinds of lies in computer industry.