Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 09:47:41 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Zapping Email Box

Running FBSD-4.5 RELEASE with sendmail-8.11.6 and Qpopper

As part of a daily digest mailing at midnight, I have a cron job that
copies a mailbox contents to a work file, then a script strips out the
extra header "noise" and sends out the nice clean digest to its members. In
order to cut off the mail box at precisely midnight, I have been "zapping"
the email box to zero it out in order to start another day's collection of
emails right after midnight. I use this command to "zap" the email box:
#echo > mymailbox

What always worries me is that one of these times, the zap will be made at
a time when the box is "active" with mail throughput and I may break or
corrupt something. I know I could launch an email client to download the
box to empty it, but that adds another possible variable to break the
routine and not clean out the box timely.... the cron time is set at
exactly 23.59 so there is only that 1 minute to do the zapping or cleanout
of the box.

Any ideas about a better way to zero the email box than what I have
described...????

Thanks....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,