Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 1997 23:38:41 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        charnier@xp11.frmug.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can not run rc.shutdown !

>  How to run rc.shutdown? It doesn't work when running reboot nor
>  shutdown, it is only run when a SIGTERM is send to init (see
>  death()).

Ctrl-Alt-Del will in effect do that (although it uses SIGINT, which
reboots after halt). Alternatively, kill -INT (-TERM) 1.

> When running reboot, a SIGTSTP is sent to init, then a
> SIGTERM is sent to my processes including innd (argh!).

Yes. IMHO shutdown(8) at least should do its stuff via SIG{INT,TERM} to
init. Reboot is a special case - it's good to have some means of bypassing
init and I've always equated /sbin/init with that sort of functionality.

Regards,
David