Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:32:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst)
Cc:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to   talk to dialups)

> > It is however based upon reality in the world of using web caches
> > (which I don't see anyone objecting to) at ISP's to increase web
> > access speed.
>
> I have no objection to web caches, no. I *do* have an objection to
> having all traffic out of my machine *forced* to go through the ISP's
> web cache. If I want to use it, I know how to configure my software to
> use it (and I do use it), I don't need the ISP doing that for me.

FWIW, most ISPs buy POPs (Points of Presense) from a big provider,
and do not control the IP address assignment (even for static IP
addresses) nor do they control the account name assignments, which
must apriori not conflict with existing RADIUS records from the
middle tier provider.

What this effectively means is that, unless you are a Mom-and-Pop
ISP, and are a very small time player in the ISP game, you will not
control your points of presence, and will therefore be unable to
filter packets in or out of your customer's machine, unless they
choose to let you do this by pointing their machines at your servers.

Other than RADIUS acconting records on connect and disconnect, which
any intelligent ISP would be using to do DNSUPDATE, converting the
dynamic IPs into session-static IPs, and adjusting reverse records
so that "everything just works", including ETRN to dialup servers,
you really don't get notification of your customer's IP traffic,
unless it is directed to, or through, one of your machines.

The thing that's really moronic is that the filtering is based on
IP address, not domain name.  It's relatively cheap to burn an IP
address in a SPAM, especially if it does not belong to you, whereas
burning a domain name will cost you $70 a pop and tend to piss off
ARIN and other powers-that-be to the point where you won't get new
ones.

Domain-name/certificate pairs are the technically correct (and more
expensive for the SPAM'mer, in the long run) soloution.

What are you going to do when IPv6 gets widely deployed?  Put the
entirety of the stateless autoconfiguration space into the DUL so
that pwople with Linux laptops can't hit-and-run SPAM at airport
terminals computer lounges and "cyber" Caffes?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.