Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:05:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rdobbs@fedbbs.org (Captain Jason Beltz)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GZIP Question

Captain Jason Beltz writes:
> To Whom It May Concern;
> 	I appear to be having trouble with GZIP.  I retrieved a copy of
> Linux's version of Netscape (I am using the compatibility library) and I
> am trying to uncompress the archieve (gz extension).  GZIP keeps telling
> me it's not a GZIP archieve.

It's almost certainly right.

> 	What sould I do?

First, find out if it's some other kind of file:

  $ file archive-name

If file tells you it's a tar file, then somebody forgot to gzip it,
and you can extract with tar.  More likely, though, it's a corrupted
archive, and you should get it again.

> Please let me know if you need further
> information on the configuration of my machine past the following
> information:
>
> CPU:	Intel Pentium 150
> Memory:	64 MB
> Disk1:	6.4GB - approx. 5.1 GB free
> OS:	FreeBSD 2.2.2RELEASE (installed over FTP through PPP dialup)

No, this time the system configuration is not relevant.

Greg