Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 15:43:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Bogusz Jelinski <bogusz@lib.amu.edu.pl>
To:        cloudel@world-net.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, it was written:

> hello.. I am having trouble with xwindows....
> I have recently installed FreeBSD over the internet
> with abunch of software packages... Took forever.
> Now that I have everything, I can't get Xwindows to
> work. I run X and it gives me the screen but nothing happens.
> I don't understand why... When I switch back to my terminal
> screen, I see a message couldn't load PEX something or other.
> If you have a solution to my problem, please email me at
> cloudel@world-net.net as soon as possible...

The reason for that is, that you run the X server without running
any client (eg. window manager, xterm) - you see an X cursor, don't you?

The solution is easy - run startx (or xinit) instead of X, which is a
symbolic link to the Xserver. Remember to add /usr/X11R6/bin and
/usr/X11R6/lib to your PATH. You can provide your own .xinitrc in your home
directory, if you don't like the default one
(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc).
Have you run /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config?

Bogusz