Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:17:41 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> >>     As I said: I've found that you do NOT have to do this if you first
> >> do a "vinum stop" on all vinum volumes.
> >
> >     Oops, sorry.  I don't know how, but I must have missed that
> >     part.
>
> Because it's not true.  I've told Darryl this in private mail.  It
> doesn't help to disseminate incorrect information.

     I'm a bit confused.  I do know that it's not required (and is, as
you say, incorrect), according to the vinum documentation, but it does
seem to be needed by 3.1-RELEASE.  With 3.1-RELEASE, I had problems with
spontaneous resets/reboots after a "vinum resetconfig".  Once I started
doing "vinum stop" before resetconfig, my spontaneous reset problems
went away (however, my spontaneous resets were intermittent, which seems
to be slightly different than Brad's experience).

     I can only speak for 3.1-RELEASE, as that's all I currently have.
I do hope to try 3.1-STABLE (I've cvsup'd the repository), but I don't
know when I'll have the time (at my current rate, it'l be weeks ;-().  I
can only assume that the incorrect "vinum stop" is no longer needed by
newer versions of FreeBSD (you've been doing a lot of great work on
vinum).

     Using 3.1-RELEASE (note that I do not yet have the time to try a
newer version), what do you suggest I do?  If I don't do a "vinum stop"
before resetconfig, I get intermittent spontaneous resets.  Yes, it is
technically unnecessary, but how do I otherwise avoid the resets?  If I
do a "vinum stop" before resetconfig, everything's fine.  I know -- I've
gone through several "vinum stop/vinum resetconfig/vinum config" cycles
(for benchmarking my system), and so I know that the "vinum stop" method
works (for me, at least).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.