Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 01:38:18 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Network cards: 3com XL rumour ...

	Eh, I've seen too many off brand NICs go bad... Linksys and D-Link cards
being the chief offenders.

	As far as SMC vs. Kingston... it's a matter of chip implementation, and
considering that very few of the applications/situations where I've
installed an SMC required massive throughput, that problem has never really
cropped up for me.  If a client calls and complains why their network is so
slow, and it gets narrowed down to a slow NIC, we generally end up replacing
it with a Gigabit one.  They're not that expensive these days.

--- Andy