Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 20:05:43 +0100
From:      Dirc Evans <fredirc@intonet.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dead Filesystem and "Live CD-ROM" won't work

Actually, I probably need to contact someone at Walnut Creek, but the
e-mail adress for technical support (as given on the CD-ROM) was this one...

So..

I have 2.1.7 on the Walnut Creek CD-ROM

My FreeBSD box crashed with my DOS partition mounted.
I can't restart.. Bootup can't find the kernel or anything! (esp
/sys/config.... this is bad!)

So, I tried to use the fixit mode of the install and use the CD-ROM 2
"live" file-system to sort it all out and run fsck and everything else...
However, I get a warning messages:

 "ldconfig could not create the ld.so hints file. Dynamic executables from
the CD-ROM likely won't work"
"Could not create the symlink for ld.so.....etc"

Guess what.. nothing works, except for pwd!

I especially can't change to the /filesys directory to run anything!

What is the next step?.. and NO I don't want to re-install the OS.. I have
just put in a lot of work installing it and configuring all sorts of stuff.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Dirc Evans