Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:54:31 +0200
From:      Frank Sonnemans <frank.sonnemans@euronet.be>
To:        Adam Fladwood <adam@wiredrave.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail -or- Qmail?

I have recently switched all my computers from Qmail to Postfix. I found
both to be excellent replacements for Sendmail. I could not get Sendmail to
work properly. Setting up Qmail or Postfix is relatively easy with the
available documentation.

For installation I found Postfix on FreeBSD the best. Just install it from
the ports dir and edit only one config file.

Setting up Qmail is much more involved. You will have to write your own
setup scripts and edit multiple configuration files. This is one of the
reasons I switched to Postfix. I found the documentation clearer (some will
disagree) and configuration much easier, because you just edit one simple
well documented config file instead of editing many short config files. I
also did not like the way qmail is started up using the "daemontools".

Furthermore Postfix is designed as a Sendmail replacement, meaning that it
tries to stay compatible with the Sendmail interface. My advice go with
Postfix. (www.postfix.org and use also the howto on the www.redhat.com site)

--On Tuesday, October 24, 2000 5:36 PM -0500 Adam Fladwood