Date:      29 Oct 1999 16:10:59 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Beck David <dbeck@freesoft.hu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange things on my computer / Help

Beck David <dbeck@freesoft.hu> writes:
> - but the kernel complains in every 10 minutes for some _out_ going
>   ICMP packets, which goes to two hosts. I am absolutely sure
>   that nor me nor any of my programs has nothing to do with that hosts

What kind of ICMP packets? Could you set up a sniffer to capture those
packets? (tcpdump will do). They may be completely benign (e.g.
ICMP_UNREACH or ICMP_TIMXCEED)

> - when I found this I started to look for the program which generates
>   the ICMP packets but I didn't find anything

The TCP/IP stack generates ICMP packets on its own in certain
circumstances.

> Do you guys suspect that my machine got exploited ? /I do, but I can't
> prove it./

Like somebody else suggested, compare MD5 checksums of your system
binaries (using a known-good copy of /sbin/md5) with those of
known-good binaries. The best choice of known-good binaries is the
live file system on the second CD-ROM in the set you used to install
the machine in the first place.

If you can afford the downtime (generally speaking, if you suspect a
compromise, you don't have much choice but to accept the downtime),
boot the system from known-good boot floppies or (preferably) a
bootable CD-ROM such as the one that comes with the Walnut Creek
distribution before running checks.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no