Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 10:38:10 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
Cc:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail sending problem (how can this happen?)

: Return-Receipt: line into your mailheaders.

Return-receipt isn't standardized, but it mostly works.  If you get
it, all that means, typically with sendmail, is that the mail was
placed in the user's /var/mail/xxxx file correctly (or that any mail
sorting programs "accepted" it).  It doesn't mean that the person or
persons that you sent it to actually read and/or understood the mail
message.  It is like to be "good enough" proof that the person in
question did get the mail message.[*]

However, if you don't get a return receipt, it doesn't mean the person
didn't get the mail either.

Warner

[*] If someone from the list of "kiss of death" sites that I have
sends me mail, return receipt requested, they will get a return
receipt, but I'll never see the mail because slocal destroys it.
Anybody know how to make slocal actually bounce the mail?