Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 00:38:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's wrong with my keyboard?

I am using 2.2.2-RELEASE.

I have a keymap which maps:
	` to ESC
	caps lock to LCTRL
	shift-ESC to ~

The original ESC key is still ESC.

When I type RSHIFT, ESC, release ESC, release RSHIFT, ~ is produced.
When I type RSHIFT, ESC, release RSHIFT, release ESC, ~ is produced.
When I type RSHIFT, `, release `, release RSHIFT, ~ is produced.
When I type RSHIFT, `, release RSHIFT, release `, ~ ESC is produced.

All but the last of these four behaviors (when two characters are
generated instead of just one) seem correct. Is there a way I can get my
"new" escape/tilde key to work like the "real" escape key?  I tried
looking at /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/kbdtables.h, which appears to hold the
default mappings, and couldn't find any clues.  Or perhaps this anomaly is
just the way the keyboard hardware works?  (The behavior has been thus on
multiple machines on which I've installed FreeBSD.)

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with keyboard repeat rates.
Also, whether it's LSHIFT or RSHIFT, the behavior is the same.

Maybe I'm too nitpicky, but proper keyboard layout -- and consistent
functionality thereof -- is an essential part of my working environment.
I guess remote logons from a NeXT would be the next-best thing for me.
:-)

dw
--
A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @