Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 05:30:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, jrs@CERF.NET, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange behavior of uha0 device in config.

>I am having a problem getting the default kernel to recognize my SCSI
>controller.  The sequence is this:

>1. Make the boot floppy.
>2. Boot the floppy and enter '-c' for config.
>3. Device uha0 (UltraStore 34F localbus) defaults to port 0x330.
>4. Mine is set to port 0x230.
>5. I use the command 'port uha0 0x230' to reset the port.
>6. Issue the command 'probe uha0' and comes back with good status.

The probe command doesn't really work (it probably works the first
time but may interfere with later probes including the real one).

>7. Issue the 'ls' command and device uha0 shows ok.

`ls' just prints the values from a table and isn't very useful for
error checking.  It is useful for checking the table.

>8. Any further activity on that device causes the device to change to
>   uha1 with the error message device number too high.  This can be
>   verified by simply issuing a second 'probe uha0' command.

This is because each successful uha_probe() ends with uha_unit++ and
uha_unit is used instead of the unit specified in the configuration :-(.

>And yes, because of another hardware conflict, I need to have the UltraStore
>on port 0x230.

Ther may also be a conflict with the matcd driver which has a hard-wired
table of ports { 0x230, 0x240, 0x250, 0x260 }.  This table is used if the
port in the config is `?', i.e., -1, as it is in the GENERIC config.  The
matcd config is done after the uha config, so it might unprogram the uha.

Bruce