Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:49:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lpd in FBSD 4.7-RC broken?

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, David Syphers wrote:

:>On Sunday 22 September 2002 07:35 am, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>> Something has changed in several TCP/IP functions like gethostinfo.c or
:>similar,
:>> sorry being "fuzzy" with this statement.
:>> From inetd I receive massive errors, that something seems to be wrong with
:>> line one n /etc/hosts.allow and the following description targets AF_INET
:>and
:>> getsrvinfo (or similar).
:>
:>Is this due to the problem reported in PR 43136?
:>
:>-David
:>
:>--
:>When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
:>-Goethe
:>
:>Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
:>The University of Chicago
:>

Yes, you're right. This describes exactly what we revealed here. But I have
no chance now to test the patch offered in the bug report due to the fact
we switched back to 4.6.2-p2. The problems with backup and this bug drove
things to worse with 4.7-RC.

Thanks for responding.

By the way: I resolved the LPD problem by isuuing the IP instead of the
full hostname on serverside, but I think this is not a solution ...
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)