Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:14:42 +0200
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW rules on tunX devices

* Peter Jeremy (peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au):

> I have a situation where I want to have some ipfw rules permanently
> associated with tun0.  In 4.5-RELEASE, I just included lines like the
> following in the rules file specified as firewall_type in rc.conf:
>   add 11010 allow tcp from 10.2.3.4 to 10.2.3.5 keep-state in recv tun0 setup
>
> In 4.6-RELEASE, the tun devices are created on demand and so tun0
> doesn't exist don't exist when the firewall rules are added.  Other
> than starting ppp(8), how do I create tun0?  I thought
> 	ifconfig tun0 create
> would work, but that returns:
> 	ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> Any suggestions?

From my understanding of ipfw, the interfaces you create rules for do
not necessarily need to exist at creation time for ipfw to apply them
later.

I use ipfw for trivial firewalling [0] on tun* devices since 4.0 w/o
problems. Just ignore "ipfw add"'s warning message about the nonexisting
interface.

[0]
Rules like "reset tcp from any to any in recv tun0 setup" and the like.
Here these rules are created using a fitting /etc/rc.firewall before
ppp(8) is started.

     --Thomas