Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 20:09:19 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

As Andrew Gordon wrote:

> Again, the base BISDN is quite sound, but the PPP patches are just a
> quick hack - as acknowledged by those involved in producing them.
> Given that BISDN is being re-written, there is little motivation
> to do further work on PPP for the old version.

There is some motivation.  Note that i've already implemented a diff-
erent version of PPP for BISDN (using the /sys/net/if_sppp* stuff from
Serge Vakulenko), but in the end it turns out both implementations
have their pros and cons.  My version is more targeted to people who
wish to have semi-permanent connections with as little overhead as
possible, i.e. i can ifconfig my various bppp devices, and get semi-
permanent routing out to my various ISDN PPP peers.  The pppd-based
version is better suited for a typical ISDN dialin server, with many
possible peers connecting.  Martin promised to cleanup his (arguably
hacky) code once he is convinced that his PPP solution will survive.

My own PPP variant works fairly stable as well.  A number of things
are still missing however (PAP/CHAP are still undebugged and not
working), that's why i haven't ever publically announced it so far.

--
cheers, J"org