Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:45:53 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware reads disk on non-sector boundary

At 12:04 PM +0200 10/4/02, Mark Santcroos wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 03, 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > Hmm.  I might not be any good for the raw-disk testing.  All I use
>>  are virtual disks.  (I have a 32-gig disk with a bunch of 2-gig
>>  virtual-disks on it.  With that many systems, it's much easier for
>>  me to deal with files than a whole bunch of "small" partitions on
>>  the raw disk).
>
>But how do you manage your virtual disks? AFAIK you can only access
>them from within vmware. Or is that just enough for you?

Yes, that works fine for my vmware needs.  Much of my vmware usage
is just to fire up some version of unix to do a quick test of some
user-land code that I'm writing.  So, I'm not really "managing" the
systems, in the sense of doing system upgrades and stuff.  They are
meant to be a frozen snapshot of some system release, and the only
times I need to access any files on them is while the virtual-system
is up and running.

In addition, I found that there was enough of a difference between
my real hardware and the VMware virtual hardware that it was
practically impossible to get a single system image which worked
right in both settings (at least for windows).  Every time I
switched between "real" and "virtual", Windows would discover new
hardware and have to reboot a few extra times.  It was more of a
hassle than it was worth.  I tried to do that for awhile, but
eventually I reformatted that drive to be all freebsd partitions.

[I need Windows for one STUPID web-application which ONLY works
with IE on Windows.  As long as I can get to that app via vmware,
then I can keep my dual-processor office PC running FreeBSD]